Born in Bangkok in 1983, Chai Siris studied Advertising for his Bachelor degree and received his Master of Fine Arts in 2010. He started his art practice in 2007, when he worked with homeless people at Bangkok’s Royal Ground.
Chai Siris continues to collaborate with people from various professions such as fortune tellers, construction workers, and housewives. His work, often video and photograph, deals with reconstruction of personal and social history. He also works with Apichatpong Weerasethakul in an independent film company, Kick the Machine Films and currently lives and works in Chiang Mai, Thailand.
BA, Bangkok University, Advance Advertising Program, First Class Honored MFA, Chiang Mai University, Visual Arts
Selected Group Exhibitions
DILBAR, in collaboration with Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Sharjah Biennial, 2013 The Importance of Telepathy, in collaboration with Apichatpong Weerasethakul, dOCUMENTA (13), 2012 The Books of Discipline : in collaboration with Apichatpong Weerasethakul, THIS&THERE, the Pavilion Neuflize OBC, creation of the Laboratory of the Palais de Tokyo(Paris), 2012 The Illuded Moon, EXIT 2010 : Experimental Media Art Festival in Taiwan : Asian New Style. 2010 The Illuded Moon, NEXTFEST, Canada, 2010 The Illuded Moon, Another Side, Lalanta Fine Art, Bangkok, Thailand, 2010 Spread, Ghost, Merz Art Space, Bangkok, Thailand, 2010 Healing: Photos and Video installation, SOLSpace of Liberty, Bangkok, 2009 My Kitten, Kind Cat Gallery, Chiang Mai, Thailand, 2009 My Photo Album, How to Disappear Completely, Kind Cat Gallery, Chiang Mai,Thailand, 2009 Stills from a short film, Vampire by Apichatpong Weerasethakul, as part of four short films screening for TRAVELING project, Espace Louis Vitton, Paris, 2008 Sanam Luang, La Fete’s FACE TO FACES: MONTH OF PHOTOGRAPHY, Silom Galleria, Bangkok, 2008
The Original Shell, Photos and video installation, Mae Rim, Chiang Mai, 2010 Transit Inn, Sandhitham Hotel, Chiang Mai, Thailand, 2009 Unforgettable, Photos and video installation show at Chiang Mai University Gallery, 2008
Selected Film Screenings
- 67th Venice International Film Festival : Orizzonti Short Film Competition, 2010
Small Village and Its Remains
- 25FPS Film and Video Festival, Croatia, 2010 - 700IS Reindeerland, Iceland, 2010 - International Film Festival Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 2010 - 26th Hamburg International Short Film Festival, Germany, 2010 - Running Time, Chiang Mai, Thailand, 2009
My Mother and Her Portrait
- In Experimental Competition, of the 18th Curtas Vila do Conde IFF, Portugal, 2010 - European Media Art Festival : OSNABRUECK, Germany, 2010 - International Film Festival Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 2010 - World Film Festival of Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand, 2009
- JELLY : Juxtaposed Exhibition by Locomotive Local Youngsters, Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai, 2009 - The Sinners's Discourse, Bangkok Art and Cultural Center, Bangkok, 2009
- Artist prize, Sharjah Biennial, Sharjah, 2013 - Art grant from Prem Foundation, Thailand, 2010 - Berlinale Talent Campus, Germany, 2009